Friday, August 17, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises movie review

The Dark Knight Rises- 2012

Length: 2 hr. 44 min.
Genre: Action/Superhero/Drama

Cast: I
Christian Bale
Tom Hardy
Joeseph Gordon-Levitt
Anne Hathaway
Michael Cain
Marion Cotillard
Morgan Freeman
Gary Oldman

Grade: B+

Would I buy: Yes

*This review will be lengthy

Review:

First of all, before I go any further I would like to apologize for the wait and how long it has taken this one to come out. I saw this film on the first week it was out, but certain events have delayed me being able to write down how I felt about it, but here it is!

The Dark Knight Rises takes place 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight, which as we all know was the fall of Harvey Dent, or two-face. Gotham is still recovering from what happened during that time and as we also all know the Dark Knight went into hiding after taking the fall for the fall of Harvey Dent which covered a truth Detective Gordon knew of. Now a new villain, Bane, arrives into Gotham to bring chaos to it and fulfill the destiny of Rhas-Al-Ghoul, the leader of the Dark Shadows that Bruce Wayne used to be apart of. A deeper plan unfolds in the process, and the fall of Bruce Wayne and Wayne enterprises ensues and with the presence of this huge physical specimen, the Dark Knight must rise once again to stop destruction from happening to a city he loves.

Positives:

As shown above this review will probably be my longest yet, because I've had a lot of time to think about how I felt and this is what I've come up with. Let's start off with the acting. The acting in this film on all accounts was superb. Tom Hardy, played a menacing Bane, and truly frightened you due to his plan and his size. A lot of people are comparing the Joker and Bane and saying that the Joker was the better villain, but the whole problem with that is they are two COMPLETELY different villains with two COMPLETELY different styles. The Joker was a verbal threat with a plan correct? He wasn't physically a challenge to Batman, but his intentions and precise plans were. He had to talk, he had to be crazy, to show just how much he meant what he was going to do. His whole purpose was to make Batman break his one rule, and kill someone, be an executioner. Bane did not have to talk to make his presence felt. Look at the man, would you want to fight someone like that? His plan actually worked! For half of the film  plus some, he won! He caused complete destruction to Gotham city and completely changed it forever. He was not meant to go crazy, he knew exactly what he had to do, and he did it. That simple. Anne Hathaway did a great job as Selina Kyle, and she really made her presence felt when she walked on the screen. She had a great mix of emotion, and really made you question exactly who she was going to be next.

Another positive was that I felt the plot was very well thought out, and was completely unpredictable. I really didn't see what happened in the end coming until like three minutes before it happened, and then I got curious. However, I thought the way they tied everything in was amazing, and it really kept you compelled to keep watching.

Negatives:

Although I really enjoyed the film I felt that it was heavily flawed, and when a four year wait occurs I expect there to be less of them...call me stuck up, I just don't care at this point. One of the main things I did not like about the film was that the title is The Dark Knight RISES, and we see him rise for like 20 minutes in a 2 hour and 44 minute film. You mean to tell me, that in that amount of time you only felt that it was necessary to show Batman in action RISING three times?! Seriously, I think you saw him in his batsuit three times. I understand you wanted to have plenty of story, but why not break it off into two different parts if you felt that it would be that much of a problem? Cause in the long run I'll take Batman and Bane fights over watching a jury system tell people to walk ice for 15 minutes. C'mon man!

Also the scene's where Bruce Wayne decides to make the climb and falls unsuccessfully twice was crap to me to be honest. According to the doctor in the prison, people have DIED from that fall that he made twice...let me reiterate that they DIED. However, Bruce Wayne makes a 100 foot drop twice with a rope wrapped around his stomach and spine and comes out okay. I'm sorry sir, if you did survive that you are not paralyzed from the waist down. No more walking for you.

I also felt that it just took too much time to get where it wanted to be. I honestly got tired of watching him in the prison, I mean I understand the point of it, but again, break it off into two films then! I'm watching destruction occur and Bruce Wayne doing pushups and situps for like 15 minutes; it just didn't flow well at all.

I thought the film was very good, don't get me wrong, however I felt that it could have been way more epic. If you're about to wrap up the one of the greatest trilogies of our time, I want to be wowed when I leave. This film did not have that affect on me, no matter how much I wanted to. I just couldn't buy into all of the hype. It had it's good, it had it's bad, but overall I thought it was a good watch. I'll buy it to own the trilogy! Go see it if you haven't!

No comments:

Post a Comment