Friday, July 6, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man Review



The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man- 2012

Length: 2 hr. 17 min
Genre: Action/Superhero

Cast:
Andrew Garfield
Emma Stone
Dennis Leary
Rhys Ifans
Martin Sheen

Grade: B+

Would I buy: No

Review:

In this reboot of the 2002 box office smash Spiderman comes a new vantage point on a familiar story with an entirely new cast. For the few who don't know of the story, it basically is about an outsider, Peter Parker (Garfield), who lost his parents at a very young age and lives with his aunt and uncle. One day whilst wandering off in a science lab his bitten by a radioactive spider and is then transformed into a hero. Set out to find the truth about his parents and seek justice for those who are helpless and are put in harms way, Peter uncovers a startling truth that leads him to the fight of his life to fight with one of his main comic book nemesis, "The Lizard". 

Before I get too critical I must say that I was very impressed with Andrew Garfield's performance as Peter Parker. He did a fantastic job portraying the emotions that Peter probably felt as well as providing a lot of comic relief to the story when it was needed. I have been a fan of him since I saw his performance in The Social Network, so I was very excited to see what he could do here, and he delivers. Emma Stone is always on point and she continued her streak in this film, and Rhys Ifans is slowing working up my ladder on favorite actors because I love every character he plays in every film he's in. Martin Sheen even gave a good performance, so that's when you know its the goods.

There are a lot of mixed reviews about this film and I think the majority of them are strictly based off the fact that this reboot takes place at a very unneeded time, which I do agree with. There just wasn't a big enough gap from Spider-man 3 to now, to make us wonder if someone could do it better, however that's just my opinion. However,  as a whole I must say I do think they did it a little better in most categories. One of the main things I felt that was missing though was the menacing presence of the villain. What I mean is, in the original Spider-man you knew that the goblin was just up to no good and simply wished to wreak havoc upon everyone. In this film, at some points it's almost as if you felt sorry for the Lizard's character, even when he was destroying everyone. I feel that this is also at fault on the script for poor pacing. I mean the first hour and 20 minutes you are watching all of this backstory of Peter Parker and then it immediately switches and says, here's the villain, someone needs to stop him, Spider-Man where are you? Even though I felt this way I must say the action scenes were much better in this film than the originals.


One thing MANY people will be pissed off about and that I completely understand is that the trailer sets this film up to answer a simple question, "What happened to Peter's parents?" I'm just going to tell you now so you can be warned you don't find out any good information. They basically made that seem like it was going to be the main point to clearly set up for a sequel. I mean we all knew it was coming, but really? Make us wonder the whole time to get nothing in return? Also there were MANY parts in the trailers that weren't in the movie. For example, the line "You want the truth about your parents Peter? Come and get it!" Yeah it wasn't in there. Cool. The one line that says come and fight me please I will show you what happened isn't in there. I've been lied to and I don't really appreciate it. Anyways this movie was worth the cost of admission and I will see the second one for sure. It is a good time and I recommend it for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment