Sunday, June 10, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman/ Promethius

I apologize for the delay on reviews but nonetheless here are 2 reviews!

Snow White and the Huntsman- 2012

Length: 2 hr. 7 min
Genre: Action/Adventure

Cast:
Kristen Stewart
Chris Hemsworth
Charlize Theron
Sam Claffin


Grade: B

Would I buy: No

Review:

This version of the classic fairy tale story of Snow White definitely has a darker tone than any other version to date. This version is about an evil queen (played by an amazing Theron) who is adament about being the fairest of all people and ruling for all eternity without ever aging a bit. However, the problem lies whenever she finds out that the only one who is fairer than she is Snow White (Stewart). In an attempt to take her heart Snow White is able to escape into the wilderness after being locked away for years. Intent on finding her the evil queen acquires the skills of a widowed huntsman (Hemsworth) to track her down and bring her back. What starts off as a man hunt essentially becomes an alliance of trust between the two, however the queen will stop at nothing to get Snow Whites heart and reign forever.

There are many credits to be given to this film, primarily the acting by Charlize Theron as the evil queen, and also the ability of this movie to maintain a constant theme. From the second this movie starts you just feel the dark mood and sense of fear to be given to the queen which is something that many films fail to do. It legitimately made you fear what she would do next, and in all actuality made you sympathetic for Snow White. Now, to add on to the acting critique, contrary to what you may think Kristen Stewart actually didn't do bad as Snow White because honestly the script for Snow White definitely complimented Stewart's acting "abilities". Chris Hemsworth always does a great job in my opinion and he definitely fit the role of the huntsman.

My only gripe about the film was that I felt it was oddly paced. Although the mood stayed consistent, the script made it difficult sometimes to maintain the feeling of sympathy at certain points. There were at least two instances in the film where I thought they were trying to make you sympathetic about something you couldn't due to poor character developement. Also it was hard for me to choose which of the two men I wanted her to love because they both had redeeming qaulities in each, and I wish that it would have been clear cut who it was. Other than that I thought the movie was very good and I recommend it to everyone to at least give it a shot. It didn't blow me away, however I definitely thought it was about average.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me want to see thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete